Total Pageviews

Sunday, 24 November 2013

Bad Idea by Damon Suede ****

Bad IdeaBad Idea by Damon Suede

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I received this as an ARC from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Then I felt guilty because I was struggling with it. I kept opening it, reading a few pages and putting it down. I'd seen nothing but great reviews about it - from people I trust with books, but I'd never read a Damon Suede book before and I found the lingo used and the writing style difficult to get into. This meant I found it hard to form a connection with the characters. I was struggling.

And then, all of a sudden, I couldn't put the thing down. I needed to read more about Trip and Silas, I totally fell in love with them and Trip broke my heart with his stupidity, however understandable it was. So what happened?

I think it was Damon Suede's unique style of writing, the lingo and way he writes, that took me a while to get used to. I wouldn't want him to change it though, as it is such a genuine way of writing, it felt real and not forced - I reckon I'm either too old or too English so it just took me time to get used to it.

But when I did - well I fell for Trip and Silas. Usually I prefer one character over another, but in the case I kinda loved them both equally. Yeah Silas was the one who was the 'good' guy, the reasonable one, the one pushing the relationship along. Trip had his hang ups, his cautions, but this didn't make me like him less or Silas more. They were both just who they were and I love how the author showed them both as rounded, real character's - and then used their flaws, they weren't just there for decoration. These character's had a real journey it wasn't forced or manipulated into being, it was believable.

I like books with 'feels', I want to soar when the characters do but I want to curl up and cry when they do too. This book delivered on that front, big time. It also had some hot, hot sexy scenes, ones that were emotional as well as physical and I absolutely loved them.

The whole comic book and artistic theme running through this book - I really enjoyed it, once I started to understand it. It was out of my familiarity (a lot of it, some of it I got) but it totally added to the book. It all felt so genuine, so real - okay I'm getting repetitive now but I appreciated this about it.

As I said I've never read Damon Suede before, but I surely will again, he's an author going on my must read list.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment